What is a Shade System?
Complete pre-engineered sun-screening and fly ball protection system consisting of our tensioned membrane CoolNet™ shade fabric attached to a permanent steel frame.
Why are Shade Systems needed?
Because exposure to the sun’s harmful U.V. rays is the leading cause of skin cancer and other disorders, outdoor activities can be enjoyed more safely and comfortably under the shade. Shade Systems also protect children and adults from stray fly balls near sports fields.
Additionally, because the remarkable CoolNet™ shade fabric screens up to 99% of the sun’s U.V. rays, Shade Systems reduce the deterioration rate of plastics and powder-coat finishes, thereby actually extending the life of the playground equipment being covered. Since playground equipment with its related surfacing represents a very substantial investment, extra years of life actually helps pay for the relatively economical cost of the shade system.
Costing much less than wood or metal shelters, Shade Systems provide an economical, attractive, and durable solution where shade is needed to protect people and property.
Where are Shade Systems used?
- Playgrounds/Skate Parks
- Sports Fields/Bleachers/Dugouts
- Poolside and Water Parks
- Outdoor Amphitheatres
- Concession Areas
- Parking Lots
- Marinas/Yacht Clubs
- Golf Courses and Driving Ranges
- Resorts and Country Clubs
- Any outdoor gathering places
What about durability?
-Heavy-duty Steel Frame
-CoolNet™ shade fabric
How are Shade Systems anchored?
- Standard in ground bury concrete footings
- Optional surface mount footings
- All footings designed for Miami-Dade County, Florida 150 m.p.h. hurricane code
What about vandalism?
- Minimal use of support posts – most rectangular Shade Systems have only 4 columns
- No footholds or climbing rungs on posts
- Most Shade Systems are over 10′ high, far out of reach of vandals on the ground
- If used with playground equipment, ASTM requires minimum 7′ distance, reducing likelihood of reaching Shade System from playground equipment
- Entire canopy replacement value is only about 15-20% of total; fabric is repairable, with repair costs as low as only 5% of total replacement value.
How Do You Clean the CoolNet™ Shade Fabric?
Because the CoolNet™ shade fabric is manufactured from High Density Polyethylene, or HDPE, it is naturally very resistant to dirt and does not retain moisture. This means it won’t rot or mildew like canvas or other similar products.
However, as it is exposed to dust and moisture over time, the shade fabric may become dirty and appear grey. Periodic cleaning will help stop the build-up of dirt particles. The CoolNet™ shade fabric can be cleaned with a weak concentration of non-abrasive pH neutral detergent in warm water with a maximum temperature of 120 degrees. The detergent must not contain any acidic chemicals or solvents as they can weaken the fabric’s resistance to UV radiation. Apply using a long soft bristled mop or brush and rinse with a strong flow of clean water.
To do a thorough job of cleaning, remove the fabric canopy (it’s easy with our Turn-N-Slide™ system!) and lay it out on a clean, flat surface. Wash with a hose – do not use a high pressure cleaner. Review the Turn-N-Slide instructions for proper removal procedure if you have a Shade Systems frame-supported system. If you have a Sail system, consult the instructions which came with your product, or call Shade Systems at 1-800-609-6066.
There are many different fabric cleaning solutions available, so it is important to check the ingredients of the cleaning solution to make sure it does not contain any halogens such as chlorine, bromine, iodine, etc., or strong alkaline chemicals and acids. If you are still unsure, ask the manufacturer of the solution to provide a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). This will detail all the ingredients of the cleaning solution, and will tell you what solvents, acids or alkaline chemicals are present.
What if we need to remove the CoolNet™ shade fabric for the winter season or in case of hurricane?
It’s easy! Just use the provided vandal-resistant wrench to remove the access cap from each corner of the frame, turn the concealed bolt, and the patented Turn-N-Slide™ mechanism allows the CoolNet™ shade fabric to come off. To re-install, re-attach the fabric’s cables to the Turn-N-Slide™ hook at each corner, turn the concealed bolt, and the fabric is tensioned onto the frame once again. Click Here to See the Turn-N-Slide Video!
What if we need to remove the CoolNet™ shade fabric from a ‘Sail’ system?
Sails do not use our Turn-N-Slide, but they are still designed for easy canopy removal! Just turn the single bolt counter-clockwise at each point of attachment to remove the Sail. No messy cables to untangle or thread on your Shade Systems ‘Sail’ – just one bolt at each attachment point. For more details, see the ‘Sail’ Specifications page.
What’s the difference between the Cafe Umbrella and other Shade Systems products?
Cafe Umbrellas are different because they are collapsible and portable. Other Shade Systems products have removable canopies, but their frames are permanently anchored in the ground with concrete footers. Choose Cafe Umbrellas when portability and flexibility in shading are important, and remember that one of their greatest advantages is that no expensive installation or permitting is required. Cafe Umbrellas arrive mostly pre-assembled, so you can have shade the very same day they are unpacked!
Does the competition offer anything like the Turn-N-Slide™?
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. And we have reason to be very flattered, as numerous “imitations” have appeared since Shade Systems introduced the revolutionary Turn-N-Slide™ in 2003. But buyer beware – it’s in the details where our competition runs into problems. Just look at all the ways competing fastening systems fail the smell test:
- Only the Shade Systems Turn-N-Slide™ is time-tested, having been used by countless municipalities nationwide, and through major Florida hurricanes such as Katrina and Wilma. Ask the competitor how long their system has been on the market?
- Only the Shade Systems Turn-N-Slide™ is patented, having been subjected to rigorous engineering and testing before it was introduced to the market in 2003.
- Competing mechanisms feature a slot cut into the top of the structure’s rafter, allowing water and debris to enter the rafter, which can cause corrosion and system failure. This is an inferior design which testing and field experiences have shown does not last! Only the Shade Systems Turn-N-Slide™ features a completely sealed rafter top to keep out water and debris, ensuring your Turn-N-Slide™ will last for the long run.
- The competition’s slot cut into the top of the rafter presents another problem: Instead of the hook being welded to a moving sleeve over the entire rafter as in the Turn-N-Slide™, the competition’s hook necessarily attaches directly to the mechanism inside the rafter, which is too weak to withstand high wind speeds and the tension exerted on the hook by the steel cables – a force which can exceed 1,500 lbs of tension! Our design spreads the load over the strength of the entire rafter, and that is why we can cover the Turn-N-Slide™ with the 10 year warranty below.
- As the ultimate proof of quality, competing mechanisms do not come with the same 10 year warranty as Shade Systems provides. Check the competitor’s website for any mention of their device and its warranty coverage. If you don’t find it – get suspicious! You can see ours here, and our warranty calls out the Turn-N-Slide™ in writing with a specific 10 year non-prorated coverage.
My playground equipment supplier offers shade canopies attached to the play equipment. Is that okay?
No, it’s really not okay. There are several very important reasons to reject this idea of attaching fabric canopies to playground equipment and instead get a proper free-standing shade system. Click Here to See the Top 5 Reasons!
Where can we get more information and pricing?
Shade Systems products are distributed through a nationwide network of independent sales representatives. Your local Shade Systems rep will be able to provide:
- Technical data, including drawings and samples
- Price quotations
- Site planning assistance
- Complete turn-key installation